Monday, July 2, 2012

Which came first....

My mother and I have a love affair with eggs. Though she is no longer here with me to share the passion, every morning when I dip into a perfect cooked yolk and have it spill onto a bite of toast, browned potatoes or ham, I touch her spirit I remember in the latter years of her life, I would sit down to breakfast in her sunny apartment and we would savor our eggs together, sighing in contentment.

Although, I must admit the release of golden yolk is matchless, the eggs can be fried, poached, scrambled, or soft-boiled - I love them all!  Each time I go out for breakfast, I see all the fancy items on the menu and feel a tug toward, crepes, blintzes, french toast, etc., but almost always settle for 2 eggs and whatever sides. I know there are eggs in all the other items, but they are hidden, and I like my white/brown ovals of pleasure straight up!

And then there are all the auxillary perks that go with eggs.

- My son gave me an German soft-cooked egg cracker with a cool name like     eineeisengebrucker (kidding), called egg clacker here (how prosaic) which is a totally fun way to start the morning!

- Also for soft-cooked eggs I have a prized Homer Laughlin small dish with a Mississippi steamboat picture. Or a petite green-sprigged antique dish from my mother-in-law.

-Or a bone china egg cup from a neighbor's great aunt's collection.

Taste, presentation, personality - a toast to the incredible, edible egg!


No comments:

Post a Comment