Saturday, November 17, 2012

Talking Turkey

Don't you love that there is one holiday dedicated to the salivary glands?

Say the word Thanksgiving and I immediately taste/smell browning turkey skin, herbal bread mixtures, cranberries popping with orange, rutabaga's melting butter, mashed potatoes pooled with gravy, pumpkin pie - and infinite  pairings of lesser culinary cousins. One of my family's extras is dried soybeans, simmered for hours with butter, called "keckling" from our Pa Dutch heritage; another relative always had sauerkraut as an add-on. But whatever you add on, aromas rule! 

Whenever I go somewhere for Thanksgiving where I am not an intimate part of the cooking, I feel cheated because I can live for a long time on the sumptuous odors of roasting turkey and all the fixings - plus, Thanksgiving away means no leftovers to plunder for days.

 I guess my expectations for the food of other holidays vary all over the ballpark. But Thanksgiving is rock-solid unchanging goodness.

Like a mother at the end of the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment