Thursday, January 3, 2013

Now

When I was expecting our first child an acquaintance at the baby shower said, "Whatever else you do as a parent, enjoy the moment. Don't fall into the trap of saying - I can't wait until he rolls over, sits up, walks, talks, goes to school, marries etc. Just enjoy fully whatever stage he's in." And for some reason those words penetrated my 28-yr-old brain. I learned very quickly that the tides of anticipating the next development step pushed you along unless you were of stern will. But I think I courted the moment. And rewards for it continuously broke like waves over my toes at the beach - invigorating, dynamic, satisfying.

Forty-plus years later I have to conclude that happiness is like that, period. If you're always waiting to cross the street you're sure to miss the park bench on this side where you can sit and watch a slice of blue sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment