Sunday, August 4, 2013

Grammy's cake

Before my time, my grandmother purportedly made a dynamite chocolate cake - very moist, almost wet, chocolate cake with caramel icing. After her death, my aunt produced the same type of cake - very successfully, and it was lavishly praised but always referred to as "Grammy's cake". This irritated her no end!

Why? I guess because everyone wants to stake a claim - to be unique in some way. I think it would interesting in a family setting to see if people could come up with one dominant aspect about those who passed and see if the answers were similar - being remembered for singing, gardening, potato salad, humor, athleticism, fried chicken, sewing, writing, beauty, wealth, date-and-nut pudding!

All I can say for sure is, right now I would love to sit down to a large slice of Grammy's chocolate cake!

Sorry, Aunt Esther.

No comments:

Post a Comment