Thursday, July 2, 2015

Boom!

Fireworks.

I think my earliest recollection of fireworks occurred at the Policemens' Rodeo somewhere around Hershey, PA. I'm guessing I was about 8 years old. The show was fascinating enough to my small-town eyes, but when the fireworks began, seemingly within the outdoor arena where all the rodeo antics took place, my mind was literally blown - at least my ears were! The explosion of color was stunning, but the booms!... chest rattlers! And I know I was so young everything was magnified, but I have yet, in my seventh decade, to have that experience of sound and sight duplicated. I've seen fireworks in Lancaster, Reston, Herndon, Pittsburgh, DC, Austria, Montreal ,Saranac Lake, Ohio, Kansas.... but never, never as extraordinarily shockingly exquisite as good old Hershey, PA when I was still in pigtails!

Some things really don't improve with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment