Wednesday, October 1, 2014

No shades of gray

When I was nine years old, I believed I would go to hell if I read the comics in the evening papers without being "saved" so I took appropriate measures -  because I had to keep up with the fascinating life of Kerry Drake!

While I cherish the community and family values my church provided, the early scathing indoctrination of right and wrong is horrifying to me in retrospect.

Yet, now in different ways, I think it is easy to make just didactic judgments in different areas - say politics. I used to know if a person was doomed or not if they used lipstick. Now I know they are if they believe in Rush Limbaugh!

Unless  our eyes and hearts are wide open we take that black pencil and white paper and make neat little boxes - all our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment