Wednesday, November 5, 2014

good to the last

Mugs.

We all have them spilling out of our cupboards. In my childhood we only had cups and saucers - china for special occasions, some form of modern "plastic" for everyday. Then at some point, mugs came into popular use - with all kinds of "witty" sayings on them, or holiday destinations, or anniversaries, or just mugs of all shapes, designs and colors, commemorating nothing!

I have favorites.

One Marv brought me from Pittsburgh - a very artistic one with brown, grey and purple streaks flowing through it at unexpected places, leads the pack. There is one with a blue/white country scene that has a mill which reminds me of Grandpa Weaver's; one from Harrod's in London; one from Newfoundland with a picture of the church we attended so I say hello to Nanny each time I pull it down; one from a dollar store in Ocean City bought when the boys and I did a holiday together there - precious, beloved junk; one with our son's business logo; one with Great Falls park scene, etc., etc.

Each one brings a smile. Each one brings a flick of memory or emotion.

Having the right mug, at the right time, filled with dark, rich, steaming, aromatic coffee truly is the best thing about waking up. Get a grip, inhale, and sip pleasure into the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment