Thursday, February 12, 2015

Strike up the band

Someone said this morning, "It was snowing to beat the band!". Why do we use that expression? And of course I looked it up!

"Beat the band" has come to mean to the extreme - perhaps outdoing the noise of a band, or the entertainment value since in the early days, a band was the ultimate.

I love that! Henceforth when I hear that expression, I will think of watching out of a 2nd story shop window, against a dark October night, and feeling the utmost excitement when a band came strutting down the crowded streets of New Holland on Parade Night! My heart thrilled to the spangled, plumed uniforms, the muffled boom of the drums, the majorettes with their flying batons, (and , gasp, skimpy outfits!) and of course the patriotic, popular music. It was ultimate magic to my four-year-old heart.

So bring it on, beat the band - make my day! I will remember with joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment