Friday, October 28, 2016

One-for One, Two for Two

The moment I enter the Antique Emporium I am transported back to my childhood - whether if be the metal lunch boxes, the tabletop radios, rolling pins, irons, depression glassware, glasses with flowers painted on them that were once filled with peanut butter, washboards, wooden high chairs, posters of 40's movies/songs/fashions - a whole world of nostalgia descends softly on my shoulders and I wander for hours, lost in the past.

Wednesday was no different. But when my eyes lit on a small square red box with the huge, bold letters in black," PIT", I stopped in my tracks! That was a game that hadn't even crossed my mind in 60 years! I opened it carefully and there on the first card that had "Flax" up in one corner, my eyes went to the middle of the card where men of the 30's, 40's (?) dressed in three-piece suits and hats were mobbed on the floor of Wall Street! I never knew what on earth we were trading as we yelled "two for two" or "four for four" at noisy games with the cousins on Sunday afternoons! Commodities and Hinkletown had very little in common!!

I was reminded again how time, though it gradually weakens the physical eyes, it sharpens the lens of understanding.

As I continued on I saw a Flinch box as well, which I hadn't revisited for years either - had I seen a Touring box, I'd have hit the long-lost Triumvirate!

That old time religion....games, games, games, in the "flesh" not on a flickering monitor. How they sweetened our hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment