Wednesday, July 5, 2017

select society

"Could you please help me find a book?"

Those words have thrilled me for 35 years! Whether the person is five or 95 - and yes, I have friends in both categories and all the ages in between. It is my honor, privilege, delight to find a book that when I hand it to the waiting person, the face bursts into a yes!

Readers, we are the most fortunate passengers on this planet. We are never bored - if we have nothing new, we re-read with the pleasure of greeting an old friend.

Two pages and usually I am a goner. If my pulse doesn't quicken in that time, I am far too aware of all the treasures that await and on I go to another option.

But to actually be the link of reader with book is like holding hands in prayer - the power flows along an endless line through generations, time and place in a quiet cacophony of grace.



No comments:

Post a Comment