Tuesday, October 31, 2017

corn shock

Yesterday I remarked to a group of colleagues at lunch when we were discussing Halloween - "Did any of you ever throw corn?" Honestly, they looked at me as if I had two heads! And I immediately knew I was country!

Before this hallowed eve, as children we would raid the neighbor's corn shocks, grab an ear or two of corn and laboriously finger-strip those hard, shining yellow/red/purple kernels of corn into a pail with a handle, which we would carry with us in our nighttime escapades. Mind you, our escapades were quite contained! We lived along a busy two-lane highway, the houses were not side by side and there were no sidewalks. Our range of motion was limited. But that noisy spatter of corn against windows and doors was quite scary - especially to us!!

How could your childhood have been successful without it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment