Friday, January 19, 2018

Not of this world

"I've come to think that's what heaven is - a place in the memory of others where our best selves live on." - from Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

And truly the memories of loved ones was the wind that lifted the lives of the characters above their wretched circumstances. The ghosts hovered above them in the cold, hunger, abuse, reminding them of the goodness in the world somewhere. And the late words of Anne Frank, "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart..." It is that compelling tenacity that somewhere there is goodness because they once have experienced it and it enables survival.

I have no horror to deal with in life by comparison and but as surely as the sun rises I, too, feel the angels of my parents resting lightly on my shoulders, bringing a little bit of heaven to the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment