Tuesday, January 7, 2020

freshly minted

Mint tea.

I don't mean bagged mint tea, I mean steeped mint leaves. Since retirement I finally take the time to thoroughly wash and dry fresh herbs immediately when I get home from the market. What a difference it makes! I bought this batch the week before we went to Christmas mountain so it has lasted 2 1/2 weeks! It has tumbled with other greens and vegetables in salads, garnished fruit platters, accented Middle-Eastern dishes and dips, and best of all, provided cup after cup of steaming, fragment refreshment on dark days. Like today. We are supposed to get a bit of hyped snow but so far its just dark skies that I'm toasting.

Mint to me is delicious in all forms - sweet or savory. But I remember longing for a cup of mint tea in Newfoundland and the family looked at me sideways and wondered if I was sick, as that was the only thing they used mint for.

Vive la difference! But, oh, what they have missed in life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment