Saturday, December 21, 2019

swept along

I remember when I was still working in the library I used to see people coming in at Christmas time and leisurely ambling through the stacks, choosing books, sitting in the reading areas with magazines or their latest checkouts, completely at ease, not rushing around like the self within me who was racing in circles, counting the minutes when I would be off work so I could rush to some task. I also used to fantasize that when I was retired all that would change! Fantasy indeed.

True I have tons of time now to do everything, but that still doesn't cancel out the logjam of late December activities - the little gifts of acknowledgment, the cards to be thoughtfully written and sent, the bit of baking, the concerts, the luncheon dates. And if you have one big entertaining occasion coming - like we do in going to the mountains, there is still a lots of food buying and the hustle and bustle of packing. When the first Christmas comes that we have nothing big planned and we can just kick back from the first day in December all the way to January 1, will I be bored????

I'd like to give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment