Wednesday, December 11, 2019

mince pie

My brother wrote a note mentioning he had mince pie at a Lancaster County restaurant over Thanksgiving. Mince Pie!

I know from experience lots of people look at me blankly when I utter those words. I thought perhaps the origin was German, but I do believe it came from the Crown! And truly, it does not sound appetizing when described as a pie filled with minced meat, suet, and fruits! But, um, do I get hungry for old-fashioned mince pie from my childhood!

To me, the words conjure up December Sunday evenings, when we had the Weaver relatives over for a staggering Christmas dinner at noon. We spent the afternoon, talking, playing games, maybe getting out to stretch a little depending on the weather, and then early evening, Mother would get out a light spread that usually included warm mince pie with vanilla ice cream. I remember each delicious melting bite!!

So, its not just the pie, but it's my Uncle Mark's hearty, chest-heaving laugh, the noisy scatter of conversation, cousins scampering, warmth, physical fullness, contentment.

And the sheltering umbrella of family.




No comments:

Post a Comment