Monday, April 19, 2021

It's a big world out there

 Have you ever wondered how the newest crop of kids - say the ones born from 2010 - will turn out?

 Probably just fine!

 But the point I have been pondering lately is, what does all this publicized visibility on Facebook, Instagram and however many platforms, do for a child's self-image?

 I think most of us born back in the 40's are lucky if a few black and white photos have survived through the decades. I have acquaintances on Facebook who post pictures almost daily of their children. I guess the balance-tipper was a photo-shoot of a 6 yr-old yesterday, posing coquettishly! She's beautiful no question, but how does that feed into the development of her inner self? What does that amount of adulation do to the formation of the child? I really don't know and maybe there are enough other forces to balance it all, but I have real fears as to how it can be sustained, topped.

I'm re-reading Beverly Cleary's Ramona series since the author's death and I see her insights into the workings of a child's mind in the 1950's. Her growing up dilemmas bounce off a small family, small town, small exposure. Today's mirror for those same hurdles is the universe. How does one find his/her way to personal stability?

 I don't envy the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment