Saturday, June 28, 2014

and the earth gave forth

I awoke to a bird symphony, so much better than a buzzer.

Being Saturday, I headed down to the Farmers Market. The stunning array of color, texture and scents caught my breath - radishes, corn, tomatoes, basil, kale, blueberries, eggplant (God had a surge of artistry going in that creation!), goat cheese, croissants, sausages, herbs, pickles, popcorn, salad greens, honey, breads, raspberries.... the kaleidoscope dazzled. But here's the thing, I brought a small amount of cash to limit myself and two stops cleaned me out! If I had a market like this to go to each day, I'd buy for the day, each day. But so much is fragile and fleeting so you really can't buy for the week.

But back home I sliced my first heirloom tomato, sprinkled it with salt and pepper and felt summer begin. Gloriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment