Thursday, July 17, 2014

Days which will live in infamy

I am listening to a book called Garden of Stones by Sophie Littlefield - a wrenching, but fascinating story of a young Japanese girl and her mother who were part of the Japanese internment at Manzanar after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The bleak horror of what they had to endure was not new to me as an adult, but what I'm puzzled by is why I never heard about it as a child. Granted, the camp was closed in 1945 - too early for me to know then, but I never recall studying about it at all. I was expressing my dismay to a friend about how we uprooted thousands of innocent people in one fell swoop and left them essential prey to the climate and the power struggles within the flimsy camps. She said simply, "Remember it was war and we were circling the wagons."

Reminds me again how I hate war in all its grotesque disguises.

No comments:

Post a Comment