Saturday, July 5, 2014

Elementary, my dear Watson

Whenever I write a note at the Info Desk for a patron - writing down a call number, author, title, phone number - whatever - invariably someone comments on my handwriting. Now its not that I think my handwriting is bad - but compared to my dad's it's pretty ordinary! As a child we copied cursive letters from the large white-on-black alphabet letters that rested atop the blackboard, painstakingly shaping and measuring them to touch the appropriate lines on our special handwriting papers. We spent hours doing this!

In the gentle,spoof bragging that we did in our family, Dad always touted the Palmer method of penmanship he had to learn as a child. And boy, did he learn it! His handwriting held beauty - flowing, even, lovely.

I'm truly shocked to read that children of today are no longer necessarily being taught cursive writing of any kind, let alone Palmer! What kind of milestone have we reached when we assume there is no longer need for cursive writing? Does that mean - no hand-written notes of any kind - thank you, I'm sorry, I miss you, have a safe trip, happy birthday/bar mitzvah/anniversary/baby/graduation/father's day/mother's day/grandparent's day - nothing?

And will we block print both lines where documents say, "print" and "signature"?

And will typing just be the only way to communicate outside of talking?

The other day when a mother complimented me, I stepped on my soapbox. She said, "oh, I couldn't agree more. At our Catholic schools we insist on cursive writing."

To which I say, way to go Catholics!

 C'mon people. Palmer Method or not, we need to learn how to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment