Monday, February 15, 2016

In this together

I've thought a lot about generations lately. I look at the lives of my sons and realize how different they are from ours. The places they live, the things they hear, see, experience, delight in. They would be astonished at the simple parameters of our early lives.

And I think back on my parents' lives and don't think they were that dissimilar from my grandparents lives. While the differences from this perspective don't seem that dramatic, perhaps they seemed just as dramatic to our grandparents.

It just seems that the world is changing in leaps and bounds, not inch by inch. Our boys marvel that they remember black and white TV. We marvel that we remember only radio. Our parents would remember days of first cars!

Progress, yes, but I hope somehow we can preserve the structure of community that came with a simpler way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment