Friday, January 2, 2015

outlook

The book I'm reading - correction, one of the books I'm reading! - has the line, "I always remember my mother as being in a good mood."

And it stopped me. I thought back to my mother and with an overwhelming wave of gratitude I realized I could say the same thing. Not that my mother didn't get angry - oh I can quite recall the time I appeared at the back door(sent by older sibs) with black oozing pitch over my white sandals after having gotten into my father's forbidden roofing supplies - my mother's mood was definitely not good!

But I'm talking a day-in, day-out let-the-merry-sunshine-in disposition. She was definitely a glass half-full person. Optimism ruled. She dwelt in the sunny side of the street as much as possible. Not that she didn't have burdens to bear, but, hey, why not be happy along the way. Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables? Yes, she loved them. Happy endings? Yes. But beyond that, she felt that Life had dealt her a very favorable hand and she was grateful.

And so am I. For her, for her unquenchable gift of sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment