Friday, January 9, 2015

Sandman

Naps.

I've never taken them on a regular basis.

But my dad took them like clockwork. Every day at noon he came home for a meal - and I mean a meal - not just a sandwich or some sort - and after that he would retire to the davenport in the front room and snooze. I certainly don't remember how long he slept - what is time to a child! But at a given signal, some internal alarm woke him and he was up and off to work for the rest of the day. I'm sure it benefited him no end. It benefited us children by the coins we dug out from deep in the cushions! But in retrospect I think - what a lovely leisurely way to enhance your day.

Now I know my retired older sibs do exactly the same thing! At night I can sometimes doze off for about fifteen minutes sitting in my recliner reading. But if the nap goes beyond that I awake feeling utterly disoriented!

Why is it that some people can slip into the arms of Morpheus easily and love the experience and for others those arms disrupt the day entirely?

No comments:

Post a Comment