Monday, April 30, 2018

the roars of the crowds

I was at a party sitting next to an ex-marine. Everything about us was different probably - lifestyle, religious background, education, career paths and for the first few minutes I know my armor was hoisted firmly in place. But as the conversation continued and the night progressed, I discovered to my delight, that I was thoroughly enjoying the interaction. Guns were like extensions of his arms. He had seen more of life's raw terrors than I could conjure up in my wildest dreams and guns had definite meaning to him. But since I had also seen his intelligence, humor and kindness, I was willing to think about his guns.

Perhaps people on the extremes all these issues should try sitting down at a party with each other and listen. Discovering the humanity beneath the noisy rhetoric greatly gentles the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment