Tuesday, March 16, 2021

leaving the nest

Yesterday, I stumbled on to a childhood friend's FB feed and discovered that he is an avid follower of our former president, an anti-vaccination supporter and an LGBT opponent - a three-fer!

I mused upon this for the rest of the day. From time to time, unbidden came the thought that a childhood playmate now in his 70's holds these beliefs. And then I got to wondering where the crossroads in our lives had come.

I have to think that education is a big turning point.

That is not to say that my friend could have a PhD and still believe the things he does today. But I do believe that when life pushes you out of the nest you discover there's a whole world beyond woven sticks and grasses. In the process of flapping those wings in order to avoid crashing into the ground you develop a whole new set of evaluative muscles! 

Though life isn't free of disaster outside the nest, I'm really grateful for that first nudge into teetering flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment