Monday, March 29, 2021

chicken corn soup

Chicken corn soup.

Say those three words and I sail back on the magic carpet of childhood to Lancaster County and land in my mother's kitchen. It is one of aromatic scents that trigger home.

I don't know why the world hasn't caught on to this yet.

If one is being authentic, one simmers a chicken slowly to coax out that wonderful rich broth as the bedrock of this culinary pleasure.

Now, life and distance have produced many shortcuts, but I wouldn't dream of making this if I didn't have fresh corn in some form. The ingredients are few, but they have to be stellar-  chicken, corn, onions, celery, and noodles. 

That's it, no pretensions or fancy add-ons

Sipping that lovely brew evokes countless celebrations with family, friends, and neighbors.

But most of all one's tongue and spirit celebrate the delight of basic country goodness.

And it's simply the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment