Sunday, April 5, 2015

beginnings

"An early Easter bunny
Came hopping through the snow
No birds were singing in the trees
How could he know?
The days were cold and cloudy
And all the trees were brown
Yes Spring was not so far away
From Bunny- Town!"

The above is a song/poem that I painstakingly copied from the blackboard in Grade 1! I remember every word. Where in my brain was the Bunny Town song stored for 65 years?! The brown notebook is probably at the bottom of some trunk, but the song is alive and well in my heart. Its not the only one I remember. There was a song about a pirate ship, the boy next door with a rabbit to sell, pussy willows, valentines, etc. etc. I know all the words. I think an extra memory boost happens when the words not only go through your ears and mind, but also your fingers!

In any case, my first grade song applies to today as well! It is a cloudy day with mostly brown trees - no snow, thank God - and there are welcome peeks of color slipping into our winter palette. How reassuring that the cycle of life continues despite all the disruptive things in our world.

Rock on, Cotton-Tail!

No comments:

Post a Comment