Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hope

I am listening to the Diane Rehm show this morning about the Holocaust death camp for women called Ravensbruck, where extraordinary gruesome experiments where carried out routinely and the newborn babies were left to starve to death. And I pause and try to get to the end of the concept. I know evil exists. I know there are people who for whatever reason have had horrendous lives and have melted down into unspeakable actions. But HOW could so many people be convinced to carry out these deeds? It takes my breath away. Literally.

But when Diane asked the author how she possibly could have written the book as we who are listening are almost too sickened to continue, she said that in her research she found survivors who had equal courage and beauty to balance the horror.

and I guess that's what keeps me hearing the birds in springtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment