Friday, April 17, 2015

beginnings

Despite the great joy of springtime, I always have a sense of melancholy when I realize how fleeting it is!

Right now the outdoor palette is breathtaking! This glorious feathering of pink, white, green fills in more solidly each day and I know very soon - way too soon - it will essentially be solid green. Oh I know there are flowering trees all summer at various points and I know our gardens, both lavish and postcard-size, bring kaleidoscopes of color and texture for months, but still its not the same as the virginal spring hues arcing overhead against the bluest skies. I want it to stay!

Of course I realize that all delight is by contrast and after a long hot summer, I will again rejoice in the splash of autumn and the hush of a snowstorm.

But right now, I just want to roll around in these delicate tones and drink them deep into my soul, rejoicing in beginnings.

And for this moment I say, with Edna St. Vincent Millay, "my heart is all but out of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment