Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut. I begin salivating at the mere word.

In my earliest childhood, I think it was associated mainly with hot dogs.... you know, a heated soft white roll, hot dog snugged inside and loaded with steaming sauerkraut and ketchup over everything. Nitrates, sugar, unmentionable animal parts and fat - absolutely scrumptious!

But in later years, sauerkraut became the vehicle to usher in your new year. Pork and sauerkraut dinners sprang up everywhere in the county. Fire-halls flashed marques with the tidings; churches tolled the news. And gradually I incorporated them into my kitchen. New Year= sauerkraut.

At first it was just the straight roast. Now I accessorize the humble swine and sauerkraut with apples, scallions, brown sugar, vermouth (or gin), shallots, a bit of hot peppers and lots of simmering time. When it arrives at fall-apart goodness, I serve with mashed potatoes.

Does it get any better than that?

The new year bows to such an exquisite culinary delight and the 364 following days just simply have to fall into pleasant lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment