Thursday, January 7, 2016

The usual

There was the open menu.

Outside it was grey blustery cold and the thick mug of coffee felt as good to my nose as my throat. In front of me were delicious choices: French toast with apples, blueberry pancakes, maple syrup waffles, sausage gravy on home fries.....on and on. My appetite lingered on each one, savoring the concept but then with the rapid assurance of William Tell's arrow splitting the apple, I chose eggs! Always. Two eggs over easy, home fries, crispy bacon. I cannot pry myself away from that order - regardless whether I'm at Virginia Kitchen or the Hilton. That has got to be as pathetic as it is boring!

But for me, the day that begins with the golden flow of eggs on toast or crisp potatoes it the day that is sure to smile back at me. On the days when I succumb to sugar, after one bite I rue the choice.

There are just some things that shouldn't be messed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment