Tuesday, June 5, 2018

modeling

At the edge of the surf a young mother was sitting with her baby. The child was probably 6 months old - crawling, not walking - but more importantly, definitely not afraid. The mother sat really close, but wasn't holding her and she played with the sand and surf happily as wave after wave crashed near her. A sudden big wave engulfed them both and while the baby blinked and gasped at the dunking she didn't cry. I was astounded.

Later as I passed them back further on the beach I stopped and said "You are raising a fearless daughter!" And she laughed and said that she was a swimmer all her life and didn't want her child to have fears of the ocean. She said, "I figured she would take her cues from me." To which I replied, "She will take her cues from you in everything." and she agreed in some surprise.

We are so molded by our parents' attitudes early in life. Yes, we can change, alter, correct, backslide, whatever. But that first instinctive response is pure Mother or Dad. 

Another reason to give thanks today.

No comments:

Post a Comment