Saturday, February 13, 2021

all in the family

Amidst all this talk about birds, a friend asked me if it was a family or a community interest when I was growing up. While it was some of both, it was largely due to the influence of my older brother initially. I came fourth in the line children in our family and I soaked up all the news and experiences of my older brothers and sisters. From my earliest days I remember being aware of the bird population because of their interest. People talk of hand-me-down clothing in families. I think it's far more interesting to talk about the culture that is passed along.

In my case I realize I set my feet to very carefully fit into their tracks as I grew up. Their reputations preceded me in grade school, high school and college and I gratefully accepted every advantage given me. Taste in music, sense of humor, book selections, board games, sports teams, church groups, neighborhood gatherings. foods, friends - it was all laid out for me.

Now I am really pitying that first child!

On the other hand, pioneer I am not. 

But grateful, I most surely am.

No comments:

Post a Comment