Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Books await

When the library morphs into a polling place the whole aura changes.

Even though the voting room is down the hall, library neophytes wander into the main library as well, blinking in surprise at ----everything! It’s always amazing to me how for a sizeable percentage of the voters this is their first venture into the belly of the books! I can always tell the newbies. This morning at bright-eyed boy asked me where the history books were. “History of what,” I asked. “Let's say Antarctica!” And immediately I surmised he was really interested in the Shackleton expedition – he was a boy, after all! (Yes, I know, judgmental!) But boys who don’t really read always want something spectacular or grisly or scary. Like monsters. Or dragons. Or shipwrecks. Or racecars. The newbie girls will ask for Disney characters and princesses in general. The don’t ask for authors, or titles, or series; their interest lie largely in finding a book that will supplement TV or movies interests. I am always saddened, because there is such a wealth of reading for every age that would help fill out the edges, gaps, nooks and crannies of growing up.

Hurray for Election Day – but come back on a more regular basis too and get to know us!

No comments:

Post a Comment