Saturday, February 23, 2019

Batter up

I was changing the batteries on my beat up old radio - yes, you heard that right, radio! - and when I flipped the switch with the new ones in place, here came the mellow voice of the Nats play-by-play announcer, Charlie Slowes! I was astonished - it's still February and we still have traces of snow! It was such a welcome surprise! Yes of course I knew they were in Spring Training but I didn't know any of the games were carried on radio! Now that's the best news I've had today!

Baseball.... the boon and torment of my days. I vow not to get involved and just like that - on a Saturday night in February my radio is following me around! There's so much to love about the game and so much that is frustrating! You get involved, they tank, you stomp off for days, they revive, you think - well, maybe, and then they tank again. Wait until next year.... suckers.

I vowed at the end of last year's abysmal finish that I would be more judicious - and one change of batteries, and the dial being set just right, and pow, I'm in the game! and the season hasn't even begun!

I somehow think baseball always take me back to Dad and childhood summer evenings on the porch, fresh-mown grass, fireflies, late night chocolate-marshmallow ice cream.... and peace.

By all means, Play Ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment