Wednesday, February 13, 2019

the other guy

Many years ago on a dark and stormy night, an elderly, slightly "elevated" woman slammed head-on into my car on the brow of a steep hill. In the midst of the rain, shattered glass and steel, bleeding nose, wind and moans of my injured son, the police officer murmured to me that the lady claimed "Satan was chasing her and threw a tree at her."

So there.

From that moment on, I learned that life isn't predictable. And, while always a careful driver, I have become almost paranoid in anticipation of the other guy's moves. But I read in a police article the other day that awareness, head swiveling constantly is your best hope of survival. 

And sometimes on a dark and stormy night that isn't enough.

I recovered from the above incident with a great scoop of Grace - as did my son. But unless you have been in an accident that wasn't your fault I don't think you can internalize the undying feeling of vulnerability that rides shotgun every single time that seatbelt clicks into place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment