Tuesday, February 5, 2019

tell me a story

Stories make the world go round.

Take a sermon, for instance. It could be ever so well thought out, with salient points and reverent intent. The congregation will nod wisely, thoughtfully, and go home and basically forget. Add a story to that composed oration, and the people now have a basket to carry the eggs of truth. And they will either make an immediate delicious omelet or they will hatch into further life.

Be it Bible stories, fairytales, myths, folklore, novels, neighborhood gossip, family sagas - stories are where we hang out hats.

Some people tell the same ones over and over, gleefully proffering each polished detail as if Eden-new, and don't make the mistake of trying to head them off at the pass! They won't be "headed" once in gear! 

Think how many times you said to a friend for instance, "I hear there is a lot of flu going around" and the friend replies with enthusiasm, "I know - I just heard that Uncle Jake was fine in the morning, and by noon, my dear...." And the story is off and running. You are likely to have more flu conversations because of poor Uncle Jake!

The older I get, the more I prize the stories of my family, immediate and extended. To laugh, cry, sigh over past events is to step more surely into the light of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment