Monday, January 7, 2019

birthday parties

I guess I'm always astonished over the hoopla about birthdays these days - particularly children's'. The competition to have the bigger and better theme parties leaves me cold.

When we were growing up, I think we got a small gift - usually a clothing item and possibly a card or two in the mail. But I never remember a birthday party of any kind. What I do remember is a cake and candles at the supper table. After the song, the cake was cut and the candles divvied out to the individual slice and relit. The battle was on to see who could keep their candle lit the longest - yes, a complete invitation to dessert chaos!

But that's the highlight memory of childhood birthdays - no big fuss, monetary or otherwise, of any kind. 

I have to wonder if after the present day avalanche of princess, pirate, Star-Wars, magician, cowboy, etc., parties and all the gifts, food, decorations, what is achieved? 

Perhaps the simple beauty of a happy place at the family table was the most amazing birthday  celebration a child could be given after all.

I tie up the memory with a big red bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment