Tuesday, January 22, 2019

the light of mine

The good lord knows I love candles!

Candles automatically mellow my mind. I love the flicker of drafts, I love the smoke, I love the waxy puddles, but most of all I love the sense of light. A flick of a match and you have created light! What was previously ambient light from electrical fixtures or sunlight is now an intensified flame of warmth - physical and spiritual.

We have always burned lots of candles in our homes wherever we are, and not just at holidays, but the day by days. Candles bring that inexpressible softening to a dinner table, bedroom, bathroom, easy chair table. Dancing life in the midst of systems.

In this present world where the systems seem so muddled and despair so imminent, I will light my candle. I won't change the world, but my heart will sing a small song. 

And who knows, more people might join in the chorus!

No comments:

Post a Comment