Monday, January 21, 2019

blow the man down!

This is a day for the "fisherman's horn" to blow! 

I think I've written before about the transom on the front door of my childhood home that had some crack in it - or at least a space for the wind to elbow in on a really blustery day and set off a racket! In some ways it reminded me of an eerie foghorn at sea. It certainly got our attention as kids! I can't remember the first time it blew of course, but I do know that no matter how old I got in that house and heard the blow, my imagination soared! In my current house I hung a windchime outside my bedroom window ages ago and while it is getting a tinkling workout these days, it is but a weak emulation of the transom of old.

 Wind is a magical thing! As I age - though I love it still - to me wind is the most feared of all the elements. True, snow/rain/sleet/fog can cause as lot of havoc depended on your location at the time. But if you are home, safe and sound, and all those elements fall upon you, it's not a crisis. Whereas, the constant roar of the wind these past two days is truly ominous, inside and out. 

Man proposes - but the powerful, prowl of wind disposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment