Wednesday, January 16, 2019

the queen's undies

I was watching the PBS special on Queen Victoria as the curators attempted to recreate her wedding dress by studying royal underwear of the time and following the lines. To me, that was a snapshot of how the monarchy is a thing of the past!

Just to think of someone trying to recreate anything from today's underwear is such a giant leap beyond reality as to be incomprehensible! In Victoria's day, the undergarments followed the lines of the outerwear precisely. Just so, the form of the government followed step by step to the lowest levels of the kingdom. Such order, such precision! Mind you, at the bottom of the hierarchy, they were lucky to have a job - or underwear!!

To me, the pomp and circumstance of Great Britain while lovely to behold and fascinating to break down to the most minute detail, in reality has very little relevance to today's world. Witness the chaos of Teresa May's world!

On the other hand, I'm not dismissing grandeur! Right now, I would love to lift my eyes to anything about our current tawdry government to anything grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment