Thursday, January 31, 2019

I have only just a minute

One month of 2019 is essentially in the books!

How can that be? I could go into a full tilt panic to realize Christmas is just 11 months away!! It's fascinating to me to look back over the years and see how my concept of time has changed. I guess the lens is especially clear with the advent of retirement - and the savoring of every sweet unscheduled moment. 33 years of happy service, but oh the stark contrast of open calendars now! So to me it should naturally follow that I can slow time down appreciably.

Wrong.

It's not that I feel busy, but despite the fact of little external structure, daily self-imposed routines shepherd the moments along just as surely as a work schedule. True, they can be hijacked at a moment's notice because you are your own supervisor, but I think one would have to be in a world without people or purpose of any sort to truly rein in the moments.

The days are like incidents way, way back in my memory when we attempted to cross a brook or stream. We jumped to the first stone, wobbled and looked for the next safe landing, and the next and the next until we reached the other side. We rarely retreated, but were drawn on by the precarious position of being midstream.

And before you can say "bob's your uncle" the day is done!

I dare not mourn one single moment passing too quickly as long as I have a happy heart, healthy body and comforts of the hearth.

 Bring on life however fleeting! - and frigid at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment